Re: Setting Spears, defender options

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 10:56:54 +0300 (EET DST)

On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, David Stephen Bell wrote:

> IIRC most RPGs (other than a few which have simultaneous attacks e.g.
> Pendragon) have a structure in which the defendant's actions are at
> best simply a response to the attacking action (RQ, Harn)

In RQ you have a chanse of breaking the foes weapon (succesful parry vs unsuccesful attack). In harn you have a chanse of getting the "tactical advantage", by getting a higher level of success than the attacker.

> > the actor. Yes, the opponent can describe his "defense" in as much
> detail as
> > the actor describes his "attack", but this has no weight (other than
> > modifiers/edges the GM may whish to give) on the outcome.

How about giving the defender the option of folding (forfeiting half the attackers bid), calling (going normally), or increasing the bid up to double. Somewhat like when playing poker.

This would give the defender options too. I'm sure this can be worked further.

        -Adept