Re: Setting Spears, defender options

From: David Stephen Bell <davebell_at_...>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 22:50:17 -0000

Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_u...> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, David Stephen Bell wrote:
>
> > IIRC most RPGs (other than a few which have simultaneous attacks
e.g.
> > Pendragon) have a structure in which the defendant's actions are
at
> > best simply a response to the attacking action (RQ, Harn)
>
> In RQ you have a chanse of breaking the foes weapon (succesful
parry vs
> unsuccesful attack). In harn you have a chanse of getting
the "tactical
> advantage", by getting a higher level of success than the attacker.

These are still just the result of a good dice roll when your opponent has initiative and attacks you (and could as easily be described as the outcome of a HW exchange). I stand by my original statement that HW is at least no worse than these, and IMO is probably better with a commitment to properly describing the action.

> How about giving the defender the option of folding (forfeiting
half the
> attackers bid), calling (going normally), or increasing the bid up
> double. Somewhat like when playing poker.
>
> This would give the defender options too. I'm sure this can be
worked
> further.

A wild idea. I'm not sure I'd like to run it but nevertheless a wild idea. :-)

Dave Bell