Re: Re: 2 sword fighting

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 17:37:18 +0300 (EET DST)

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Bigfoot wrote:

> Hi List
>
> Just to make a note , for those of you wanting an element of realism in your
> games remember that swords in Glorantha are made of bronze , very heavy ,

I don't recall bronze being heavier that steel. Hammered bronze also get's guite close to iron in toughness.

Still, to quoute from my Glorantha files.

"Remember that with just casting and hammering it's very hard to make a usable bronze blade longer than a shortsword, thus smithwork also includes enchanting."

> so if people are going to swing two swords around then they aren't going to
> be able to do this for long. I do medieval recenactment over here in the uk
> , and have done for some time, i swing a hand and a half bastard sword
> around alot , but i could never manager two of them , my sword is made of
> mull steal and weights close on 10 lbs , so work it out.

Reenactment weapons tend to be poorly made, heavy things. At least the ones I've held. 10 lbs is a lot for a bastard sword.

> Also from a combat point of view axe and shield is the best way to combat
> this fighting technique,

Two shortswords is a usable style too, and paires surprisingly well against a broadsword and shield, IMO. Two broadswords is rather taxing, and using two bastard swords is something I've had only one person use in my Glorantha campaign so far, and it's a real giant of a Uroxi Poljoni, Og the Horned One. (he wears a magical helmet that let's him butt enemies with his horns and fling them into the air like a bull)

This guy uses two huge celtic style swords (with rounded tips).

        -Adept