Re: Re: 2 sword fighting

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 11:13:56 -0400

Mikko Rintasaari wrote:

> > being very un-Bronzelike. Mail armour, for instance, wouldn't be very
> > useful in Bronze (although there's not much of it about so far in HW).
>
> Huh? How so? Hammered bronze rings would make for quite good chainmail I
> think.
>
> -ADept

Not really. Bronze is *quite* brittle and not very maleable. When worked into fine shapes it tends to snap and shatter, which is why earlier armours were plates and scales rather than mail. Only when the much more readily worked (if not smelted) iron became readily available did mail make its appearance on the battle field.

However, I do recall that gloranthan bronze is specifically more maleable than the earthly equivalent, hence the use in swords and the like without troubles.

Jeff