Re: Re: 2 sword fighting

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 18:22:13 +0300 (EET DST)

Me:
> > Two shortswords is a usable style too, and paires surprisingly well
> > against a broadsword and shield, IMO. Two broadswords is rather taxing,
>
> In your opinion --- however, reenactment is not quite a life or death on
> the shieldwall situation. SCA folks are notorious for 'taking hits' to
> take down an opp0onent in battles and duesl. Something that one might
> be relucant to do in reality -- especially with unsanitary bronze pointy
> things.

I mean I rather gladly duel with two shortswords. The defence is rather good, and effective range much more than one would think. It's not something to stand in (or charge) a shieldwall with. Could work rather well in a free melee.

> > and using two bastard swords is something I've had only one person use
> > in my Glorantha campaign so far, and it's a real giant of a Uroxi
> > Poljoni, Og the Horned One. (he wears a magical helmet that let's him
> > butt enemies with his horns and fling them into the air like a bull)
>
> Yeah. I've no objection to something like that -- an Uroxi screaming
> and waving around two axes seems to have about the right feeling about
> it.

Yup. It's damn scary.

> > This guy uses two huge celtic style swords (with rounded tips).
>
> And probably fights alone -- with a good wide space around him!

Oh yes! *laughter* the others tend to give berserkers a wide berth. He was called Og the Berserk when younger, sinse he was blessed by Urox when young (Kicked in the head by an angry bull). He used to froth a lot, and go berserk way too often without any provocation. He's been healed now by a rather powerful Chalana Arroyn, and has developed into a rather cunning fighter. Now he only goes berserk when faced with huge numbers of chaos monstrosities. (of if he get's too angry)

> I'd be
> very leery of getting too close to a flailing monster like that. Almost
> as dangerous to friend as foe.
>
> Jeff

Oh yes. He was in the Snakepipe with some people, and when they followed him they eventually noticed he wasn't trying to reach the cave they vere headed for, but actually just going from one chaotic monster to the next, getting more and more worked up.

The Wind Lord of the group decided it was time to take charge, and started yelling orders to Og. He very nearly got himself beheaded, because Og tought he was challensing him for leadership (this Uroxi wears nobody's nosering).

Good fun for the GM, lot's of terror for enemies and friends alike these Uroxi. (I think the Pon Joli tradition worships Urox, the Storm Bull, and is a combination of the Sartarite and Praxian traditions)

        -Adept