Re: 2 sword fighting

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 15:30:27 -0000

> Reenactment weapons tend to be poorly made, heavy things. At least
the
> ones I've held. 10 lbs is a lot for a bastard sword.

You must have held some cheap rubbish then (of which there is, I agree, a lot!). Reenactment swords tend to be high-quality steel, beautifully finished, in our group. For 100+ UKP I would damned well hope so too! Armour Class, our local smiths (and members of our group) make superb lightweight hardened steel weaponry with 30-32 inch 10th century norse style swords weighing 4-6 lbs. That's what I'd expect the real ones to weigh in at (given the reenactment swords have thicker, blunt, edges, but better quality steel). Bronze isn't denser than steel, but is almost always used thicker for extra strength, so weapons are heavier.

10 lbs IS heavy though...

Wulf