Stirrups

From: Steve Lieb <steve_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 21:22:21 -0500

> > Henrix :
> >
> > > There were cavalry charging with lances who did not use stirrups.
> >
> > There were cavalry who used the lance much as a RQ melee weapon ;
> > but from horseback ...

Only cavalry that used the lances more as spears (over hand thrust in passing) and thus negated much of the shock value of the cavalry charge. They were medium cavalry at best. IIRC, Cataphractoi rarely used lances, preferring heavy blades instead.

> Also the celtic four horn saddle (orlanthi?), gives enough stability and
> support for a lance charge

Hrm, only if you were willing to break your back. The 4 horn saddle gives the rider almost too much leverage to use a lance, since the rider can't easily release from the levered position, if you get my meaning. I tried in my foolish youth lancing stuff from horseback with a high-back saddle (ala tournament knights), and almost killed myself.

I'd simply consider either lack of stirrups a severe handicap to a lancer, with a lesser penalty for the high cantle saddle.