Mundane Superman versus Magical Superman

From: Martin Dick <martin.dick_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 18:09:07 +1000

A house rule that would be easy to add to handle the situation of the man running as fast as a horse would be to say that you can't increase an ability beyond 20W unless you provide a specifically magical way of being taught.

So for example, I'm Carl the Elmali who's 20W with Run Fast, who can sprint somewhere around Carl Lewis or Maurice Greene in the Olympics 100 metre final, but those pesky Grazers on their horses just keep running away from me, while I sprint after them.

Frustrated because I have reached the limits of normal humanity and my GM won't let me spend my Hero Points just to run faster, I raid the Grazers and steal one of their GoldenEye(?) horses.

Using my Horsemanship affinity as an Elmali, the Narrator then rules that I can commune with the horse to learn how to run like it and that now I can keep increasing my Run Fast up till 10W3 or whatever a GoldenEye(?) horse has for Run Fast.

So when in a published scenario you see that Erik the Wolf Pirate has Fishing 10W4, you can either assume its because he spends all his time fishing if you want mundane superfishermen or its because he has done deals with dolphin/ mermen/killer whales or somesuch to boost his Fishing ability, if you want only supernatural fishermen.

That's what I'm going to do in my campaign when it starts up in a few weeks anyway, though as none of the characters will start with even a mastery, it will be a moot point for a while.

Martin