RE: Re: Setting Spears

From: Richard Sands <richard.sands_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 12:20:36 +0100

> Let's take an example. The actor declares to swing at his foe
with his
> broadsword. The opponent declares that he is going to parry with his
shield
> (elaborate at your leisure, my English isn't good enough to improvise
> colorful descriptions). The same actor declares the same swing. The
same
> opponent declares that he will lunge at his foe while he is opening
his
> guard to attack. The two situations seem to me very different, but
since the
> APs that are going to be lost/transferred are the same, the game
system does
> not tell the difference.

I think this aspect of combat is covered by ability rolls, and doesn't need adjustments to the bid. The defense chosen increases or decreases the chance of a successful attack, not generally the risk factor of the attack. I would rule that the dice roll represented the correct/incorrect choice of defense, but you may want to give situational modifiers to the defender depending on how appropriate his defense is (I wouldn't, as it places player knowledge above character knowledge).

Richard
  richard.sands_at_...
  richard_at_...