Re: Re: Non-combat coup de grace

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 14:09:36 +0100

Ian Cooper wrote:
> Uh, maybe I am confused. I thought that the coup de grace was
> treated as a combat term for a parting shot.

I could be wrong, and I don't have my rules to hand, but a Coup de Grace kills with an ability roll, whereas a Parting Shot is another stake of APs, which might or might not kill the defeated opponent, but could also bring them back into the contest (if there is an AP transfer). The rules have an example non-combat (a debate with a shaman) Parting Shot in which the latter happens, IIRC.

Using a Parting Shot to kill an opponent is not so easy, as complete defeat (a kill) requires -30 (or is it -40?) APs, so the actor attempting to deal a coup de grace using a Parting Shot has to bid 10 to 20 APs. Not a problem for Harrek with his Hero Band, but a typical carl (ability rating 13, so considerably less than 13 APs by the time his opponent is defeated) is not up to the task, which is ridiculous. I assumed the Coup de Grace option was an extra rule to work around that problem.