Re: Non-combat coup de grace

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 16:35:51 +0200

>The 'coup de grace' option enables to victor to use an action to kill
>a foe defeated in combat. The rule is in terms of combat. However,
>much has been made of the uniformity of the contest rules, so the
>implication is that a 'coup de grace' is possible in non-combat
>contests (where you would translate 'kill' to 'achieve complete
>victory').

Yes, that is correct (or should be).

>On the negative side, there are unlikely to be moral or genre qualms
>about a non-combat 'coup de grace', so allowing them is likely to
>make complete victory in non-combat contests very common, which might
>seem bizarre.

A parting shot is about the only way to ever getting a complete victory, should you really need one. And often you don't need a complete victory, so why risk a parting shot? If you lose you can be reduced to 0 or less yourself, especially if you have to make, say, a 30 AP bid to get a complete victory.

Also, parting shots are possible only in extended contests, so parting shots aren't likely to be very common. They aren't in my games at least.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]