Re: Mundane Superman versus Magical Superman

From: Philippe Krait <philippe.krait_at_...-csf.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 17:01:25 +0100

> From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
>
> Philippe:
> >But to me, living in a very magical world does not mean that, by
> >training only, you
> >acquire "magical-like capabilities". You have to think in terms of the world.
>
> Exactly. I do think in terms of the world. Who on Glorantha actually
> _trains_ his mundane 'run' ability up to 10www? If you are ambitious
> and motivated enough to get it up there, then surely you have been
> blessed by, say, Mastakos or Father Deer, or you have heroquested
> mightily.

Not necessarily. You might get your ability there becaue you are an Agimori, running everyday on the vast plains of Prax.

But when you wanted to run "really fast" (not agimori-like fast), you would invoke your festish "runs-like-desert-wind" and then you would be able to do something inhumanly fast.

> Regardless of whether the 10www ability is magical or mundane, i
> doubt anyone in Glorantha would raise it to that level without
> supernatural aid.

I don;t doubt it. It's what the scaling is about. For example, I don't doubt that Harrek has close fighting 10w4, even without any magical aid. He is that good "naturally".

> The only ones that come close to 'training' abilities like that are
> mystics, but for them it's a spiritual practice, so you can still
> justify that they can achieve superhuman results with a perfectly
> mundane ability, since that ability is an expression of their mystic
> perfection.

It seems as good an idea as any concerning the mystics.

Philippe