Mundane Superman versus Magical Superman

From: Nick Hollingsworth <nick.hollingsworth_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 18:17:44 +0100

Martin Dick
>... would be to say that you can't

> increase an ability beyond 20W unless you
> provide a specifically magical way of being
> taught.

Is that a 'just plain can't' or a 'finds it very difficult to'?
Can't is easy but I'm not too keen on hard and fast can'ts when it comes to PCs.
I'd probably prefer something less absolute with the same practical effect. I might simply settle for not counting the skill as used in the game if the player cant come up with a suitable magical source for the skill, which means its learned at double the cost.
I'd reserve the can't for the NPCs.

> So when ... you see that Erik ... has Fishing 10W4,
> you can either assume its because he spends all his
> time fishing if you want mundane superfishermen
> or its because he has done deals with dolphin [etc]

Good.

However the statement "A PC cant increase an ability beyond 20W"

  1. only makes sense if the PCs are human. If the PC were a golden-eye horse himself he would be able to run at 10W3, and presumably could train further. So now we would have made a rod for our backs since we would have to set the threshold for every skill for every creature beyond which it cant or cant easily progress. Which is a problem. And a pain, since I would like to be able to restrict mundane skill improvements as you suggest.
  2. only makes sense if all skills have a mundaneness on the same scale. Yet, while the skills do get expressed on a universal scale, I would be inclined to believe that for a human Swallow Molten Lead Without Blinking 15 is already pushing beyond the mundane in a way that Estimate Cost Of Round At Pub 15 is not. And that Breath Air 15 is less impressive still.

there is a threshold at which a skill is no longer mundane that threshold depends on the skill in question and it depends on the character
ie its subjective, the ref decides when its no longer mundane and what consitutes a good reason for further learning is also subjective

Conclusion

Its all subjective!
I suggest a rule that says that the ref has to agree that a certain skill can reasonably be increased and if the player cant convince him that he has such a reason it costs twice the HP.
<double take>
Uhh! We've already got one.
</double take>

The one thing I might change is to reserve the right to set a heavier training cost modifier the nearer to breaking the players push my credulity.

Nick Hollingsworth
Birmingham - The land of the free and the home of the balti.