Re: a coup de grace is not a parting shot

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 22:15:36 +0200

> > I thought you meant parting shots. Coup de grace is for killing
>> helpless opponents; it's not a way to increase the victory level,
>> like parting shots are (explained in HW p141).
>
>Oh, but it is. A 'dead' (well, 'dying') opponent is at the 'complete
>defeat' victory level.

Only if the objective of the contest was to kill the opponent. In my games this is quite seldom the case.

If you enter a combat contest and your objective is to get past the guards (and the guards' objective is to stop you from entering the castle), then a complete victory doesn't necessarily mean that the guards are dead; i'd say it means that you manage to fight your way past the guards without anybody else noticing (the guards being left unconscious or bound and gagged).

I'd say a combat is seldom fought for the sake of fighting (except when Uroxi are present of course). Hence a complete victory needn't leave dead bodies in its wake.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]