RE: a coup de grace is not a parting shot

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 22:30:19 +0200

Richard:
> > If you used a Coup de Grace on a marginally defeated spirit, you'd
>> end up with a marginal victory and a dead spirit, not with a complete
>> success and an integrated spirit.
>>
>From my reading of Coup de Grace, you need to reduce your opponent to
>-11 or below (hurt or worse) for a successful Coup de Grace. In any
>case, I don't think spirit combat counts as combat in the sense of a
>Coup de Grace being allowed as a parting shot. If you want to up the
>defeat level of a spirit, your only option is to bid big!

I reread the para on coup de grace and noticed that it's quite confused. A coup de grace is something you do _instead_ of a parting shot, using the same mechanic. The objective of combats needn't be the death of your opponent, but the express purpose of the coup de grace is to kill your opponent, not to increase the victory level.

My clarification of the rules text of the coup de grace is that parting shots increase the victory level, while a coup de grace merely kills the opponent. In some cases, where the objective is to kill your opponent, parting shot and coup de grace is interchangeable.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]