Parting with grace

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 01:41:51 +0200

Mikael Raaterova:

>My clarification of the rules text of the coup de grace is that
>parting shots increase the victory level, while a coup de grace
>merely kills the opponent.

I never found that part of it unclear, actually...

>In some cases, where the objective is to
>kill your opponent, parting shot and coup de grace is interchangeable.

Yes, except for the slightly more unclear statement: "Any opponent driven to hurt, injured, or dying can be killed by the parting shot if the player so intends." I've been thinking that this is probably a prohibition against giving a dazed opponent the coup de grace. In other words, you have to bring someone to -11 or below through normal combat, and _then_ the parting shot can be an instantly killing blow. I suppose it could be read the other way around: if your parting shot brings the opponent to hurt or below, you can declare him dead. But if that's the intent of the rule it really should be worded differently.

Wulf:

>Am I right in assuming, however, that you must still bid AP for a coup
>de grace, as if you lose the contest, you lose the AP? Almost a
>certainty for minimum AP bid, that, win and he's dead regardless of
>AP...

Yes you must and yes it sure is.

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg