Re: Mundane Superman versus Magical Superman

From: Philippe Krait <philippe.krait_at_...-csf.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 08:07:05 +0100

> From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
>
> >I am personnaly not too sure about that. If you heroquest, I don't
> >think that you would get
> >better in your mundane ability. Heroquesting is interacting with the
> >myth, and thus gaining
> >mythical abilities, not improving your mundane ones.
>
> 'Running fast' isn't mythical? Mastakos would be surprised.

No, "simply "runnning fast" is not mythical to me. It does not ring mythical. "Run like Mastakos" that you would gain by doing a Mastakos heroquest is mythical, on the other hand...

> Sorry, i don't agree. If you successfully heroquested to acquire
> Brother Deer's ability to run fast, i'd say that you'd get a directed
> increase in your mundane "Run Fast" ability.

IMG, players wouldn't acquire simply "run fast" which is mundane-looking, but "Run like Brother Deer", which is and sounds mythical.

> If you heroquested to
> gain Jumping Rabbit's "Escaping Jump" i'd say you get "Escaping Jump"
> as a separate talent.

Again, not simply "Escaping Jump", but "Rabbit's Escaping Jump"...

> I merely said that you can heroquest to gain multiple masteries in
> mundane abilities, and that it is a very efficient way to do so. Not
> that was the sole purpose of heroquesting.

Honestly, I would not play it that way. If you interact with the myth, you gain mythical abilities, and you can slightly increase your mundane or your magical ones. You don;t get major increases in mundane ones.

Philippe