Mundane Supermen: Limits

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 17:28:32 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Martin Dick wrote:

> Sure, it's arbitrary, and the number was just one I came up with
> on the spot, and could be changed, but it's also arbitrary in
> the sense that a human can't run 9 seconds or less in the 100
> metres is arbitrary. It seems pretty likely that will never happen
> except without our own modern version of magic, i.e drugs or
> genetic engineering or special equipment.
>
> It seems perfectly reasonable to me to set for various groups
> of creatures, maximums on ability levels without some sort of
> magical assistance. I don't remember in 20 years of Runequest,
> anyone having a problem with characteristic limits. No one going,
> "Why can't I train my human's strength to 30?"

Indeed. Setting some sort of limits for humans and other creatures would be nice. It also helps make the occasional characters who surpass these limits all the more impressive. (Did the new draft of ogre's have a huge "strong" ability?)

I'd sure like to see that a strong human isn't as strong as a strong great troll.

  ---

Oh, and a related thing.

Shouldn't we have some sort of limit on feats (and spirits) gained from smaller god's and spirits.

There was an example in the HW book about a bunch of people worshipping a snow spirit as a god "Lord of Snow". This was said to give an affinity to the shaman(?) leading the worship, and a single feat to to the rest of the followers.

Now, to me it's very strange if the followers can increase this snow feat with no limits (aside from the cost). It just doesn't seem right that the misquided worshipper of this small spirit can have the feat snow 10W4 and use it to defeat the sun powers of a powerful priest of Yelm.

So I'd propably rule that the feat "snow" can only be learned up to 20 prowess.

And from smaller god's I suppose to something like 20W.

The spirits and gods of Glorantha aren't all equal, and I think the system should take this into account.

Also, it's rather strange that spirits of a tradition have a listed range of power, but when the character has integrated the spirit, he can build up it's prowess indefinitely bu using HP. This seems wrong.

        -Adept