AP Transfers

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_...>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 14:53:53 -0000

Richard Melvin :

>If someone was to say 'I go for an all out lunging attack, ignoring
>defence', and then bid 3AP, would you suggest a different bid, or
apply
>an arbitrary penalty?

Neither. I'd explain that a high risk action must involve a larger AP bet. Either the guy is having a lapse of concentration or just doesn't understand the game. I'd simply explain it to him.

Alexandre Lanciani :

> Let's take an example. The actor declares to swing at his foe
with his
> broadsword. The opponent declares that he is going to parry with
his shield
> (elaborate at your leisure, my English isn't good enough to
improvise
> colorful descriptions).
>
>The same actor declares the same swing. The same
> opponent declares that he will lunge at his foe while he is opening
his
> guard to attack. The two situations seem to me very different, but
since the
> APs that are going to be lost/transferred are the same, the game
system does
> not tell the difference.

In the cases above the defending character is trying to achieve two different things. In the first case he is all-out defending. If he wins the exchange then he probably knocked aside his opponent's weapon and buffeted him with his shield. If the parry is very successful, he might even have knocked his opponent's sword out of his hand. I would only allow the player to inflict a wound if the AP loss was very great, like 14 points or more, since his declaration was purely defensive. It would be possible to knock aside the opponent's weapon and get a sword blow in, but since that wasn't the declaration, it would take a big AP loss or transfer to do it.

In the second case, he is definitely going to try to inflict a wound. I'd say that if he transfers 7AP or more off his opponent with a declaration like that, then he would have to exchange it for a wound.

Simon Hibbs