Re: Re: Digest Number 162

From: Richard Addy <rmaddy_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 13:30:44 -0400

On 7 Jul 00, at 18:11, Wulf Corbett wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jul 2000 18:41:45 +0300 (EET DST), Mikko Rintasaari
> <mikrin_at_...> wrote:
>
> >This seems wrong. I hope the close combat has a really serious
> >penalty, and parhaps a maximum skill, unless spesifically studied.
> >(something like -10 penalty and 15 maximum for the orlanthi, propably
> >much more for, say, the Dara Happans... I just don't see them
> >brawling all that much)
>
> There is no specific penalty, and no maximum at all. If you use
> Unarmed Combat once or twice at a penalty, you can 'Cement' the skill
> with a Hero Point, and get it at the full Close Combat ability. What
> that Improv Penalty would be is up to you. But once you buy it, it's
> full ability or a house rule. Another good reason why weapon Ranks are
> necessary for any form of realism.

here's how I'm going to run it -

Everyone starts with Close Combat at 13 (since pretty much all the cultural keywords include some sort of close combat ability), and a specific close combat ability (dagger fighting for Dara Happans, etc) at +0. If a character get another close combat specialty due to occ/magical keywords (say, sword & shield fighting from warrior), they pick that up at the difference - in general, +4, since most of the times, occ/mag keywords grant abilities at a value of 17. In essence, I'm not starting close combat at a character's best specialty - I'm starting it at the worst.

Individual speciliaties can be raised like any ability, or close combat can be raised at the same cost as an affiinity. New specialites start at +0.

So, my happy Vinga might begin at Close Combat 13 (Spear Fighting +0, Sword & Shield fighting +4, Spear & Shield fighting +4). If she fought unarmed, she's incur an improv penalty. If she cemented some kind of brawling ability, it would begin at +0.

Of course, I'm also allowing folks to purchase abilities within feats like that, so an Vingan devotee might end up with Movement 17 (Run over treetops +5), frex.

Richard