Re: Re: Digest Number 162

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 01:58:45 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Richard Addy wrote:

> here's how I'm going to run it -
>
> Everyone starts with Close Combat at 13 (since pretty much all the
> cultural keywords include some sort of close combat ability), and a
> specific close combat ability (dagger fighting for Dara Happans,
> etc) at +0. If a character get another close combat specialty due to
> occ/magical keywords (say, sword & shield fighting from warrior),
> they pick that up at the difference - in general, +4, since most of the
> times, occ/mag keywords grant abilities at a value of 17. In
> essence, I'm not starting close combat at a character's best
> specialty - I'm starting it at the worst.

This sounds good. I'd also suggest making rising the close combat ability more expensive than rising the individual combat skills.

Offhand, I'd say 3 HP to raise the Close Combat by one, 1 HP to raise an individual combat skill. This will encourage people to specialize, and not create Dare Happan shinobi*

        -Adept

*the shinobi, or ninja as they are often called these days, tried to train their fighting ability to such a level that they could intuitively pick up and use any weapon effisciently, as well as fight unarmed.