Re: coup de grace; ranks; missiles

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 17:56:32 -0700

To follow up to some earlier discussion: the coup de grace is defined to be a "parting shot in combat" -- can't use it in a debate, spirit combat, etc.

Wulf

> Personally I will always use Ranks, it seems inconceivable to me that
> unarmed combat does no more damage/AP loss than a poleax...

It's not always damage -- after all, the unarmed guy doesn't have to haul around a heavy sword and shield, he can feint and make you work and tire yourself out.

James

> This is a common combat situation in past games of mine, how do I handle
> this in HW?
>
> Players get charged by enemy.
> Combat starts with players throwing a javelin (or firing a ruddy great
> crossbow).
> Enemies close for hack'n'slash.
>
> Usually there is only one 'round' of missile combat before the close combat.

The basic intent here (fight) suggests a single contest.

We usually have the missile guys start an extended contest with their missiles, and then *if* they get into hand-to-hand, reset their AP totals to their Close Combat. (This was a rule in earlier drafts. The intent was that running out of missile AP because you dropped your bow shouldn't affect your ability to fight in a melee.)

Also, the situation is usually different, in that the players are being harassed by missile fire from people who have no intent of closing. Having a high Close Combat ability shouldn't help the archers shoot longer.

Our overall conclusion: contests involving lots and lots of archery are as boring in HW as they are in RuneQuest, and should be avoided if possible.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein