Re: ENCHANTED WEAPON EDGES

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 12:55:38 +0200

>In a number of examples in the player handouts (Army of Tomorrow, etc.),
>several of the characters have "enchanted weapons" or items affecting
>combat, with an edge assigned. I wasn't really able to puzz;e out a
>rationale for how these edges were assigned. If a player comes to me
>wanting, for example, a magic sword, an enchanted bracer, or a Torc of
>Mighty Rulership, where can I find guidance about how to assign the edge?
>Probably I've just overlooked it somewhere.

Enchantments need not only provide edges to the user (or handicaps to the opponent). They can provide bonuses or APs (like a 'follower') as well. Or they can provide an ability. A 'Lightning Sword' could provide the ability to lob lightnings around, or simply an edge or a bonus when hacking at your enemies. Or it can provide you with APs when you fight during a lightning storm. Or all of the above. Depends on the wording really.

If he wants a 'magic sword' he needs to be more precise; what does the enchantment _do_? WHen you know what it does, it becomes far more easy to apply the bonus/edge apropriately. This is a general recommendation for enchanted items.

The 'torc of mighty rulership' is quite easy IMO. The enchantment applies when the bearer is trying to rule. I would make it a bonus since i figure it gives the bearer some measure of authority, not that it makes him a better ruler.

As to the strength of enchantments, it depends on the might of the enchanter and the needs of your story.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]