Re: Outrunning Horses

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 17:21:14 +0200

Philippe, again
> > IRL, horses and humans don't use the same type of running. A human
>> jogging can run down a horse in a few days time. A human would outrun
>> a horse in thick woods. A horse would win an 800 metre race.
>
>This is why only improvisational modifiers linked to the kind of
>running taht you are
>suited to can solve the problem.

I didn't contest that situational modifiers should be used; far from it, i should have hoped.

> > So HW doesn't determine on the 'system level'* since there is no
>> Truth about who runs faster, just Contexts. Hence it is up to the
>> Narrator to assign modifiers in a specific context to reflect
>> Gloranthan realities. The numbers are there to give you something to
>> work with.
>
>Exactly. But it does _not_ imply that you can do superhiman things
>with your mundane
>skills.

No, not the above.

> > (This is also exactly why i have come to the conclusion that mundane
>> abilities allow you to do the superhuman. Since a starting character
>> who puts "run fast" as his primary ability _can_ outrun a horse
>> (depending on the actual situation), then a 5w rating is in the 'low'
>> superhuman range.
>
>And I read it exactly the other way, which is that despite your
>higher rating, you will
>need imrpovisational modifiers _on your side_ to outrun the horse in
>an 800 metres race.

In an 800 metres race, i would give an advantage to the horse, yes. But that doesn't change the fact that, at face value, a 5w fast human is faster than a 2w horse (if you accept that horses normally are 2w fast). Being faster than a horse is to me superhuman, hence ratings above 20 is superhuman.

> > I like Glorantha to be like this, and i don't need
>> to scale mundane and magical differently. My opinion is that HW is
>> designed to portray Glorantha like this. YGMV, of course, but the
>> rules seem to implicitly support my view.)
>
>The seem that way to you, the seem the other way to me (cf. the fact
>that lifting yourself
>is always resistance 20 for example...).

Which is a rating as silly as they come. Someone who doesn't bother with writing 'strong' or a similar ability into the description has a 6 vs 20 when trying to lift himself. Are we to assume that humans in Glorantha are total wimps? Furthermore, if you do write 'strong' into your description, but doesn't choose it as your primary or secondary ability _still_ has trouble lifting himself. I think _not_. Is lifting yourself not something that a self-respecting hero would succeed with automatically? Why is it then a 20?

> > So now you say people can learn mundane abilities from Heroquesting,
>> and not only mythical ones? In other messages you have said this is
>> not so. How do you want to have it?
>
>What I said in previous posts (but didn't detail this time) is that
>you can, IMHO, improve
>your mundane abilities by trying to apply what you saw during your
>heroquest but that this
>is slow and keeps your abilities mundane, or become part of the myth
>which requires you to
>succed in the quest and then gain magical abilities that allow you
>to be superhuman (as you
>are no longer a merem human but a semi-mythical hero).

OK. We'll have to agree to disagree, it seems.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]