Re: Asymmetry between actor and opponent

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 09:24:46 -0000

Indeed. I stuck to 'Combat-related' actions in this case because the discussion seems to be centered around "Aggressive Defence"

> I find the 'combat focus' of many recent threads rather
distressing. There's
> more to life and heroism than bashing people on the head with
pointy pieces
> of metal.

True, I'll try harder next time! - I think this is another case of trying to run the HW combat like a more traditional RPG Combat (He attacks, I defend then I attack and he defends rather than "we fight...")

I don't think the best way to run a HW debate/argument is a line by line affair, punctuated by dice rolls -

"Your cattle have mange - 7AP"
"At least I can afford cattle of my own" <roll dice>
"And they are healthier than what you try and pass off as sheep! 12 AP"
"There's nothing wrong with my sheep"
<roll dice>

either

 "You can see that your insulting of his animals is working, everyone knows his wealth has been declining in recent years, and who would trust a man who cant guard his livestock in as important a manner as this"

or

"Your arguments are not convincing anyone. Any fool with eyes to see can tell there is nothing wrong with his livestock. He may not be the richest man in the clan, but everyone agrees he is honest and hardworking..."

(see not a single reference to pointy bits of metal...)