AP Mechanics & realism

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:04:25 -0000

Tim Ellis :

>The Hero Wars Game system is not concerned with the intricate
details
>of any contest, only the end result, and even then, from a fairly
>coarse grained viewpoint.

>No, they exactly track it's state (One player is doing better than
>the other). What it doesn't track is the minutae (One player has a
>gash on his forhead, dripping blood into his eyes)

Although you and I agree on how HW works, I just don't think that saying things like this is either usefull or true. I think HW tracks such things just as much as any other game does. Ok, so it's all subsumed into an AP pool, but that no diferent than the way factors in RQ are subsumed into skill percentages, or Hit Points. At the end of the day, tables are made up by people just as much as on-the-spot modifiers, and I don't see that either of them is blessed with any special inherent 'realism'.

Simon Hibbs