City Cult 'Pantheons' NB: Pavis

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 15:33:11 -0000

Ian Thomson :

>I know that this is not a 'normal' pantheon, but believe that in the
>Pavis region it works closely enough to be described as one
certainly
>within the local keywords, which is what I am working on.

I think in this case the term pantheon is only as true as it is usefull. Pavis and Flintnail have very closely connected mythologies, but I'm not so sure about Zola Fel.

>However, we have Issaries, Chalana Arroy, possibly Bevara, possibly
>Aldrya, possibly Orlanth, possibly Yelorna (and maybe even a couple
>of others that escape my attention this second - I'm at work) who
have
>all accepted the rule of Pavis over the city and Pavis County (?)

I don't think these deities have any pantheonic(?) connection with Pavis.
Flintnail, etc at all. They have no shared myths I can immediately think
of. The relationship between their cults is political. I think a similar situation might be that between the native Roman cults and various middle eastern cults, such as that of Mithras or Isis, which were tolerated politicaly but had no common ritual or mythological connection with the local religion.

>and for the newer residents, even the Sartarites, who have accepted
>Pavis (through the alliance with Orlanth) they are tacitly agreeing
>to revere Pavis as the ruling spirit of the region (albeit not in
the
>wider realm). Therefore the newcomers will be enough of a part of
the
>pantheon idea not to be worthwhile inventing two different rules
>mechanics for old and new citizens

It depends on how integrated culturaly, ritualy and politicaly you think
the old inhabitants and the newcomers are. If you think they're all one
big happy family, then go with the Pantheon idea. Personaly I think it's far more likely that the Orlanthi in Pavis would very much rather have nothing whatever to do with the Pavis cult, but tow the local line
for political reasons. After all they are foreigners - and that's the crux, they're foreign, not local, and don't share the local's ancient traditions, religious practices, etc, etc.

I don't see what rules you would have to invent for the Heortling religions. Aren't the rules for Heortling religion in the HW rulebook and the upcoming Thunder Rebels enough? I'd have thought a little bit of verbal glue to stick them into the local setting would be sufficient.

Simon Hibbs