Re: zombies

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 11:03:14 +0100

Zombies have the special 'fight-on' rule. But why? The Glorantha-centric explanation is that, being already dead, they must be hacked to bits to be defeated: it takes more chops to take them down. But how is that different from a Tough monster that needs more chops to take them down? Or a skilled swordsman who can fight on longer?

I think the 'fight-on' rule is a poor translation of a, *gasp*, RuneQuest rule. RQ zombies, IIRC, had to have all their hit locations destroyed to destroy the zombie. Thus spake the simulationist game.

But in dramatic terms, a zombie is merely able to keep fighting longer than an otherwise-equivalent-monster. In HW rules terms, I'd say that means many APs. Normally, many APs means a big ability rating, but you can have many APs with a small ability rating if you switch abilities during the contest. Perhaps a cleaner way of describing zombies would be to give them a poor Close Combat ability, but an enormous Already Dead ability. Zombies would attack with their Close Combat, but defend with their Already Dead.