Re: Digest Number 180

From: t.s.baguley_at_...
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 14:24:15 +0100

> From: "Mikko Korhonen" <mikko.korhonen_at_...>
>Subject: zombies
>
>Hi all!
>
>Just had my first experience of keeping HW. Character creation is
>Great!
>Difficulties started when playing a single combat session, one player
>against a zombie. First the augmentation. Player is Humakti warrior,
>and tried to augment his sword to +2... just failed his skill roll,
>resistance was 10, i rolled succes, resulting -2 to his skill. Player
>wasn't too happy about it, after all he didn't fumble or anything. I
>thought that i made an error, but all was according to rules.
>Allright, i searched hw-rules next day at work and found out that i'm
>not the only one who has problems with the augmentation.

I just ran my first proper session too. I went with the "penalties to augmenting ability" house rule. This seemed to work fine.

e.g., augment close combat with "strong", fail a +2 augment, "strong" reduced by 2 points for rest of session (fatigue/minor strain).

It has the unexpected side effect that the Lawmaster using one knowledge feat to augment another knowledge feat only went for a low augment (because screwing up would lower his chance at what he was attempting). I quite liked this because it places natural limits on augmenting one feat with a second feat from the same affinity.

>Anyway, problem number two followed. The player (bit frustrated..)
>bid 25 AP:s against the zombie, gained marginal victory, resulting -
>10 or something AP:s. NB indicates that the zombies will continue to
>fight untill -40. How do they bid any AP:s after going under zero?

Two main options - either a constant bid (appropriate for a Zombie) or anything up to starting AP. A constant bid of say 7 seems appropriate for mindless killing machines (they'd bid higher but haven't the imagination).

Thom