Re: Re: Scorpion Hall

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:45:40 -0700

> > "You reel with the effort you've made, your sword feels like lead
> > in your tired arms and your eyes swim with sweat. The skeleton
> > winds up and takes a swing, can you get your sword up in time?..."
> >
> > Depending on the result of the die rolls, either you managed to
> > block the attack, or you didn't...
>
> I'm with you except for one thing. I thought at 0 AP you couldn't
> act any further. Do you have to be below 0 to lose?
>
> Ah...I think I have it... when the skeleton swings, if he rolls badly
> and you roll well, you might rise above 0 AP again. If it wasn't a
> MKM, the fight would be over otherwise, with the victor looking at
> his defeated foe. I agree a MKM would remain in cuisinart mode. An
> intelligent victor could take you prisoner, or attack again to try
> and get you to the point where a CdG was possible if he was intent on
> killing you. He takes a chance that you'll get lucky and spot an
> opening until the CdG point, though.

The description asumesthat the skeleton is performing a Parting Shot on you. You roll on defense ("...can you get your sword up in time?"). Note that the defensive action could be anything - run away, plead for mercy, try to teleport away, try to lightning-bolt your opponent, etc. Some of them might work against a skeleton, some won't - plead for mercy is probably *not* a good tactic against an MKM...

> Do you get to roll vs. the CdG or is it auto-kill?

You have to Bid & Roll to perform a CdG (it's a specialized Parting Shot), but if you succeed then the victim is dead, not just "mostly dead".

RR