Re: Me Dazed..

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:59:42 -0700

> > >RR
> >Mania"
> >
> >>MR
> >> This suggest you don't. So, i'm happy. The defeated guy can initiate
> >> an Escaping/Running away contest with the skeletons.
> >> >>

> >Of course, the bit that Mikaal left out was "against intelligent
> >opponents"...
>
> Roderick, please. Skeletons don't need to be intelligent in order to be
outrun.

The "against intellegent opponents" was in reference to pleading for mercy. In my Glorantha skeletons don't respond to pleas for mercy. As someone else (Thomas?) noted, the time to run away is before you are defeated, not after (in large battles, running away is probably the "as you are defeated" bit, and the pursuit is a Parting Shot/CdG on the routing unit, but that's outside this question). *You* want the hero to have a chance to get away even after he has been defeated in combat. Don't let the "Dazed" title throw you, you are as defeated as if you were at 0 HP in RQ.

> And this 'go with the story' fluff; just because the soloquest is
> supposed to be extraordinarily lethal, doesn't mean you can't
> withdraw from a combat.

Okay, looking up Scorpion Hall, I find paragraph 158 (page 34), listing an attack by shadow cat skeletons which includes this description: " Once in melee there is no backing out. If you destroy the skeletons you have three doors to leave through...". There is no paragraph listed for retreat (unlike in most other encounters).

In this case, I would say that the *story* does not allow for retreat from combat. I'm not sure why, and I'm not going to try to back-track the paragraphs to find out the whole situation.

RR