Defeated Discussion

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 13:24:08 +0200

>You can at least argue from the published rules, and if you have the time,
>check the Errata/FAQ to seee what is officially changed. Working from old
>drafts is a bad idea.

I work from my own version of HW, which is probably an even worse idea in your book?

Seriously, i want to make HW an even better game. Thus we need to clarify, tweak or change the official rules when problems arise in playing HW. And i can't let your interpretations of HW stand uncorrected when i see problems with them.

> > >As a narrator I might allow a character to plead for mercy, initiating a
>new
>> >contest. I would not allow him to start a contest to run away.
>>
>> Why not?
>
>Because you have been defeated in combat, and withdrawing from combat is no
>longer an option (combat is over).

Running away (should you succeed in that attempt) after you've been defeated in combat is not a withdrawal from that combat, since the combat is over.

>I'd allow pleading for mercy because: A)
>it is dramatically plausible and B) is not an extention of combat. It is a
>try to ameliorate the *consequences* of combat. In my mind, at least, it is
>a totally different thing.

And avoiding Certain Death by running away is not an attempt to ameliorate the consequences of combat, by the same logic?

I can't see that a marginally defeated character that tries to run away from his victor is somehow an extension of combat. Does it in some way change the fact that he is defeated and did not achieve his objective?

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]