Re: Changing objectives

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 21:23:45 +0200

> > Defeat is mostly in the mind. If you have lost hope of succeeding,
>> you are already defeated (unless you get a transfer from your
>> opponent's parting shot, and realize there is still chance).
>
>I totally agree with you on this point, and at
>below-0-but-not-yet-too-terribly-hurt is when a normal person would
>surrender.

So far so good...

>*BUT* by doing so he is literally putting his life in the other person's
>hands. He is so exhausted (mentally and/or physically) that even running
>away is not an option.
>I think this is where we differ in our opinion of how the "not-yet-Hurt
>defeat" works.

My point here re: CdG or MKM killing frenzy is that the character is defeated insofar as his objective is concerned, but when the opposition tries to actually kill him his survival motivation kicks in.

Whether that manifests in pleading for mercy, running away or a desperation attack (Final Action) is another matter.

>> >They were hopelessly confusing when I got the manuscript, as I
>remember...
>>
>> Then i suppose Greg is to blame, as usual. You said nothing about my
>
>> suggested 'clarification'; shall i take that as tacit agreement
> > (wishful thinking, most likely)?
>
>As a house rule I have no problem with it.

And what have you to say about the official as-published rule? We can't really leave it in its hopelessly confused state, no?

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]