Re: The Whole Scorpion Hall Thing

From: TheCam_at_...
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 01:31:28 EDT

In a message dated 7/14/00 1:39:45 PM, hw-rules_at_egroups.com writes:

>>Although, what happens in RQ if the skeleton takes you
>>to 0 hp?
>
>Didn't RQ take you down at 1 or 2 HP?

You were unconscious at 1 or 2 but dead at 0.

In a message dated 7/14/00 1:39:45 PM, hw-rules_at_egroups.com writes:

>>Mikael:
>>
>>>In that case, no one who has been defeated in combat
>>>can try to flee which seems Highly Odd to me.
>>
>>It seems to me that you should try to flee *before* you're defeated in
>combat.
>
>I don't know if i have said this clearly enough, so i'll say it again:
>
>Being defeated in combat means that you didn't achieve your
>objective. If you want to avoid being captured or killed, i'd allow
>an attempt to that effect.

But doesn't it mean that that the opponent *did* achieve their objective? In my opinion, this means that the ball is in the opponent's court. Otherwise, what good is winning? And where does it end? ("Ok, I didn't make my objective of killing you so now I'll run away. That didn't work? Ok, then I'll try to talk my way out of it. Hmmm, that didn't work either? Then I'll try..."). The other problem lies (again) in the fact that this is a solo adventure in which there are, by it's very nature, a limited number of options. Most (if not all) solo adventures that I've seen end in success (whatever it may be for that particular adventure) or death.

As a GM, I don't believe that a character should die simply because of a few lousy die rolls (a series of bad/stupid decisions, though, is another story.) I don't think killing characters on a regular basis is a lot of fun for the players. I always leave options. If the skeletons happened to be minions of Delecti, for instance, the skeletons would, upon defeating the players, bring their captives to Delecti so that he can have them properly slain an turn them into zombies. This gives the players ample opportunities to escape. Of course, none of this matters in a solo-quest since there are the aforementioned limited options.

>>Being reduced to 0 AP in any contest (combat or otherwise) means that
>you are
>>defeated.
>
>Yes, but what does 'defeated' mean other than that you didn't achieve
>your goal and/or that your opponent achieved his?

Yes to both (see above).

Camo