Re: Changing objectives

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 11:32:35 +0200

>> >Why would he ever assume that his opponent -wasn't- trying to kill
>> >him? Not a healthy state of mind to enter combat in...especially
>> >against MKMs....
>>
>> IMG, most combats are not to the death. I'm obviously not as
>> bloodthirsty a Narrator as you lot...
>
>Actually, I agree with this. However, I don't believe any real
>warrior would ever enter combat with a foe and expect the foe -not-
>to try to kill him. This isn't bloodthirsty, just conservative
>common sense.

My thinking is that the foe doesn't primarily try to kill the warrior (depending on the contest of course) though being killed is always a very big risk.

> > >Are you running this as an unrelated action to escape?
>>
>> And with 'this' i suppose you mean attempts to escape from Certain
>> Death? Yes, i resolve it as an unrelated action (simple contest).
>
>If this occurs after dropping below 0 AP do you apply a penalty to
>it?

Yes. Some fraction of the AP difference between the loser and winner is usually appropriate. If it seems like it should be easy to escape, then one may simply apply the ordinary contest consequences.

> > >A lot of this sounds like it's intended to be an
>> >'escape hatch' to allow the character to escape death when
>> >defeated.
>>
>> Yes, it's intended for attempts to avoid gratuitous killing.
>
>I think this depends on the mindset of the GM.

Of course. There should be extant variants in HW so that Narrator's can more easily adapt HW to their own style, and also to show them that the core feature of HW is versatility.

I think HW should be more of a DIY Gloranthan RPG based on the eminently flexible resolution mechanics.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]