My take on combat resolution system etc. A bit long

From: tero.a.laiho_at_...
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 12:56:10 -0000

Hi all,

Maybe I should not be writing to this list, after all I am quite happy with the HW. I like Fudge and HW is much closer to feel of that system than RQ. Even the disorganization of rules and huge glossary were nothing compared to games like Immortal.

But about the resolution system.
My interpretation is that when you hit AP0 you are really defeated but not yet really hurt. This means that you are hanging from the roof with one hand; or sitting on the floor in the bar wondering why there are now three big quys with knucleduster dancing in front of your eyes instead of only one there used to be; or pushed to the wall your sword laying down on the floor your enemy with sword aimed to your throath.
Now your enemy may just accept your surrender, or bind you, or something similar. Basically the character is now captured with no chance of resist.
However your enemy may be nasty and now try to really hurt you, step on your hand to make you fall, kick shit out of you or run the sword through you. If he succeeds good for him if he fails good for you. Maybe you still have chance. Specifically this is not yet the automatic killing blow even though you may be killed/incapacitated by it. I am thinking of movies like Matrix with Neon being trashed by agent Smith, who just have to try to get Neon in front of the train instead of just handcuffing him. Or any number of movies with cliffhangers where the bad guy has knocked the hero of the ledge and tries now to make hero's defeat deadly but he fumbles somehow or waits too long allowing the hero to counter, a big AP bid from bad guy and a big fumble resulting in Hero getting up unharmed and bad guy hurtling into death.

Running away in my opinion has to be done before the defeat.

For the creatures and characters who fight to -APs, I just ignore the AP0 as far as it concerns defeat. But they are getting wounded.

I also find one sided AP bids if not 'realistic' but efficient. Most of the encounters anyway take more than one go. So both parties have a go. Also I think that more risk you take i.e. more you bet the more devastating the result is. Then it is up to you skill wether your big two handed strike hits or not and wether your opponent skillfully counters.

About the edges and skill throws to achieve them. I like the concept but not the system. I like the idea that acrobatics can give an edge if you can pull the stunt off and the penalty if I am clumsy and hurt my knee while trying that Vhirlwind Cartwheel of Orlanth the Tumbler

Last I want to point out that my opinions are strictly from fiction point of view. I am definitely no martial artist, and I have never seen anybody killed in a fight. Your milage may wary

Terol