Re: Rituals again

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 16:29:27 +0200

David Boatright:

>discrepency of modifiers to rituals between the main rules, which
>implies that they used to modify the result

They do? Where? I've never read it like this...

>and the scenario in the
>NB p149- which implies that they are used to modify the chances
>of successfuly performing the ritual.

They add to the skill you use in perfoming the exorcism or whatever, if that's what you mean.

HW p. 236: "The usual outcome of the ritual is a bonus to the celebrant's target number [sic] for a specific contest..."

Of course, "target number" should be read as "ability rating" here.

What might be confusing is that the whole procedure, first the ritual boosting of an ability and then the actual use of the ability, often is lumped together and referred to as just "the ritual".

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg