Idea for missle combat/Fun new combat approach !!!!

From: Anthony Utano <Anthony.Utano_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 00:33:38 -0000

How about this for an optional idea - (re)introduce hit locations in a
similar form to RQ. These ideas are all "off the top of my head and untested ". Having played it now, what seemed to be missing from combat is:-

*missle combat
*using the system to provide some detail for descriptions.

My basic idea _was_ to allow missle combat to work, and to get a bit more in the way of descriptive combat without over-taxing the narrators brain:-)

Missles:
When faced with pre/post melee missle fire....

The Actor with the missle weapon uses a simple contest to determine a result - their opponent can use an appropiate skill (have to think about that a bit)

Success Affect on target

Complete Victory Injury to chosen location
Major Vic          Injury to rolled location
Minor Vic          Wound to rolled location
Marginal Vic       Dazed/Dodging next action
Minor Defeat       Miss
Major Defeat       Missle weapon broken.(snapped bowstring...)
Complete Defeat Missle weapon broken.(spapped bow, ...)

This allows damage to be inflicted to an opponent without resorting to extended contests for missles. It also allows missles to have an impact without dominating.

But!
This can also be used in normal combat.

In normal combat - if the actor chooses to inflict a wound, a location is also rolled. If a location has two wounds => injured location, three wounds => incapacitiated location.

Incapacitiated locations mean you cannot use skills that require that location. If incapacitiated, the target still retains their existing AP, but now they will have to switch skills to get away/use magic/heal/whatever.

So I will need a slightly different character sheet, ie. locations with three wound boxes in each, and to roll another d20 when wounds are given - not too much work I hope :-). My gut feeling is that the small extra details could make combat more interactive and exciting - not all combats are a fight to 0 AP!!!

Any comments/suggestions/improvements ?
Anthony