Re: Idea for missle combat

From: philip.hibbs_at_...
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:12:21 +0100

>And that would be rather strange don't you think?

No, I don't. If I am firing arrows at you, there's virtually no chance of me screwing myself up. At the worst, my bowstring might snap, or I might get a flight caught in my thumb. Yet in Hero Wars, if I stake 10AP on an arrow shot against an opponent with "Dodge Arrows" ability equal to my "Bow and Arrow" ability, I have a good chance of losing 10 or more AP. Why? Firing arrows at someone *is* deeply unfair. With my system, I can risk 1 AP and still wound the target on a regular basis.

>Why would anyone use
>anything but bows if they get such an edge?

Because using a bow and arrow at H2H combat range is impossible. I'd apply the same sort of system to slings, crossbows, thrown rocks, or any other situation where the opponent can't do anything back, and there's virtually no chance of the attacker screwing up.

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.