Re: Rituals

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 16:31:31 +0200

I think we're talking straight past each other on this one. One more try... if this doesn't do the trick I'll be at Convulsion and I saw your name on the list too...

>But look at the example it adds the modifiers for when and where
>the ritual is done to these points but says nothing about using the
>time and place modifiers to modifiy the TN of the ability used for
>the ritual i.e. the Orlanth mythology roll. This implies that it effects
>the result after the die roll and not before it.

Absolutely. As I understand it, every single modifier listed in the rules applies to the ability you're using the ritual to modify, e.g. Mythology if you want to enter the Godplane, your Enchant [whatever] feat if you're creating a magical item etc.

"The ability used for the ritual", i.e. what you roll against in order to give the ritual modifier to the ability you're really interested in, is as far as I can see not modified by anything. To be honest, I've been ignoring this roll completely. It's only mentioned in one place in the rules, every other mention of rituals is tacitly assuming that this roll is not a problem. Perfect candidate for an automatic success. You could make it an ability test if you want experienced priests to be more or less guaranteed the extra +5.

>In the NB the ritual is an exorcism and the modifiers are applied
>to the ability which is used to see if the ritual is successful i.e
>before the die roll.

I think that scenario must have been written before the rules were finalised. It's broken in oh so many ways...

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg