Re: Uleria. Back to Affinities and Feats

From: Douglas Seay <douglas.seay_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 13:48:00 -0400

> Message: 18
> Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 22:06:05 +0100
> From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Re: Uleria. Back to Affinities and Feats
>
> On Sun, 16 Jul 2000 14:06:16 -0000, tero.a.laiho_at_... wrote:
>
> >In my opinion the following Affinities would fit the bill:
> >
> >Fertility (Get Pregnant, Resist Pregnancy, Bear Child)
>
> I'm not sure Ulerians would use Resist Pregnancy. Admittedly, Mallia
> can cure diseases, but that's not quite the same thing!

I've always thought of Ulerians as never having kids unless they wanted to.

Asside from the pleasurable aspects of visiting a Ulerian, I've thought that one worshiped there to become more fertile. Almost as if the initate/devotee transfers some of his/her fertility to the worshiper. This would be common for those who wish to have kids _now_. Political alliances, people who have to leave for a while, just before an execution, a woman trying to join Ernalda the Mother ASAP, etc.

This means that I think the Fertility affinity would look like

Fertility (Increase Human Fertility, Increase Animal Fertility, Increase Crop Fertility, Cure Impotence)

I don't see the need for "Bear Child" as that is an aspect of Get Pregnant (or Increase X Fertility as I phrased it). And I don't think a feat is needed for Restist Pregnancy. It just kinda works out that way, kinda like with Babs Gor.

Also, don't think exculusively about humans. There is more to fertility than just that. The "Regular Folk"
(http://adrr.com/hero/scenarios/02.htm) adventure has

> 11. Fall Harvest.
>
> The harvest will be about x d3+1 what one would have expected (of course there were about 30+
> points of POW spent on Uleria's divine intervention -- that is pretty hefty). About x d3+2
> the number of animals have survived to fall that would usually survive the spring calving.

Am I the only one who thinks that a Wedding Gift of a trip to the Ulerian temple is a common thing for those who can afford it? Either as a Bachelor's Party, or more likely a how-to class for the new couple.