Re: Re: Berserk OTT!!

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 21:12:08 +0100

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 20:54:29 +0100, "Bigfoot" <bfoot_at_...> wrote:

>I suppose its only fair to own up to the Berserk OTT , for the culprit is
>me.

bad boy :)

>This is my first true HW character and i created a true warrior , i read
>about humakt , i understand whats hes about and what he defends , and i am
>not manipulating the rules to my advantage.

My problem is understanding what the hell Humakt is doing with any berserk magic at all... couldn't understand the profusion of berserkers in HW, still can't.

>Just to make another thing clear okay i spent 2% of all my hero points
>gained on preventing failed rolls , 97% on increasing my combat ability and
>1% on rasing my death afinity.

Erm... hang on, 1% must mean a minimum of 1 HP... you have 100+ HP from 7 sessions? More than 14 points a session? Extremely excessive!

>Jarec is a very good gm and can control any once of the pcs easily when he
>wants to , i think that maybe my actions as a player have brought to light a
>rule witch he is not really fond of , ie using heropoints to bump a failed
>roll for combat perposes. I know tjhat if Jarec decides it my charcter is
>puttly in his hands.

I'd say the problem is he's failing to see the character in his environment, and instead is treating him as an isolated event. There are a whole load of possibilities to control, limit, or even cripple (literally or metaphorically) such a character, but they do NOT work if the Narrator tries pretending he's just like the other PCs. He needs special treatment, bigger combat challenges, or, more interestingly, some NON-combat challenges.

Nor, in his (your Narrator's) defence, do they work as well if you, as player, have designed, or now play, a character without a background. Think on these: has he ever had a pet? Has he any brothers or sisters? Are his parents alive (and if not, has he had anything to do with that?)? Has he any fears or passions? Or is he just a combat monster? HW does not suit combat monsters, as there's no inherent balance in the character design. If he is one, dump him, or have him killed off in a blaze of glory. Bring back his more interesting younger brother...

Wulf