History of Pavis

From: Ian Thomson <arkat_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 11:10:59 +1000

since the discussion continues here, I shall continue to respond here. If anyone with official clout here wishes to insist we fully kick this over to the Glorantha Digest, that's fine

Pavis was founded by Pavis and Joraz Kyrem who were both students of draconic wisdom in one form or another. I don't think this has to mean that they were intent on turning themselves into dragons, or even that JK was a mystic per se, but both were experimental H Questers. Flintnail was also a H Quester, but may not have studied with dragon mystics at all, however was a close associate of Pavis

Whilst the initial army that liberated the ruins of Robcradle might have been largely fanatics dedicated to the 'cause', some of these would have been Heortling. AND a great number of the settlers that arrived over the following decades (maybe even centuries) were Heortling, and yes, some of them were worshippers of Orlanth Dragonfriend

These ideas are all generated from my understanding of the original city of Pavis, as discussed at length with Greg earlier this year, but obviously can't be taken as gospel without his say so

There would have been a strong faction of draconic mystics in Pavis right up until the Inhuman King sucked all the knowledge out of their brains, but Pavis was never besieged by angry Draognewts (until the troll domination was broken)

In short anyhow, Pavis was founded on a mixed bunch which included a significant proportion of Heortlings, of which Orlanth in various guises, including Dragonfriend, would have been prominent. I believe that many Heortling deities would have been established as gods of choice in preference to the Praxian deities, and that only the Zebra People made any inroads into adopting Praxian gods, and that even to this day they stay very much on the fence (which for them is a position of power)

I believe even lesser deities like Barntar, Odayla and Bevara would have come along with this tide and been used over the Praxian deities by the people of the city. Pavis when it was founded would also have expanded out into Pavis County - after all there was a peace treaty with the nomads for quite some time. The settlers didn't come to Prax to learn to be Praxian (apart from the Zebra People to a degree), and would have brought their own traditions with them.

Pavis County (as re-established by Dorasar's followers) would have been recovering old land cultivated by the original city of Pavis back in its early years: say 830-870 for sure, and then rebuilding after Thog and giving it a further go until nomad attacks grew too dangerous (927 Jaldon's first big attack)

"Under the rule of Jhoraz ... the city again flourished. Inspired by Sun Dome methods, farmers spread all along the river of cradles..." P&BR p57 These farmers were 'inspired' by the Sun Domers, and were not Sun Domers? Who then? Heortling settlers from the EWF who were at that time friendly with the Sun Domers - all people together under the embrace of the Empire.

I think its time someone wrote a whole host of subcults for Yelmalio (an idea I heard from Jane Williams recently)

Yelmalio: farmer
Yelmalio: warrior
Yelmalio: Diplomat

being the only ones I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure more are necessary

Glorantha Site:
http://home.primus.com.au/arkat/runeq.html