Re: Digest Number 193

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 01:37:48 +0300 (EET DST)

On Sun, 23 Jul 2000 TheCam_at_... wrote:

> Christoph Kohring:
> >> The player, a Humakti, rolled for berserk and failed the
> >> roll. So he then used a Hero Point to force a success and go Berserk.
> >
> >That's one way of playing it. Try changing it to where the players have
> >to declare a bump _before_ a roll.
>
> So, if they actually roll a crit they've wasted a HP? To me, that kinda
> defeats the purpose of having Hero Points. I instituted the use of luck
> points in my rq game because of one of my players who seems to roll 00 much
> more often than 1% of the time... To have to declare their use before you
> know you need them seems backwards to me.

It isn't backwards, and it works better than the "Oops, better use a HP" way IMO. The HP won't be there to save your bacon when you screw up, but will let you achieve heroic actions, or escape death when you decide you need them.
  Being allowed to burn HP after the roll is far from exciting. Having to decide beforehand makes things much more lively.

When the opponent bids 30AP, and the narrator describes "He's charging you, swinging the glowing greatsword in great arcs, trying to cleave you in two", you may just want to burn that HP, before rolling, and it has a good chanse of saving your life.

> As someone else stated before, someone burning HP for rolls where
> they don't really need it are shooting themselves in the foot since
> they're reducing the number of points they'll have to increase their
> abilities.
>
> Camo

To each her own. I wouldn't let the HP be used as a "get out of jail free" card. Declare the use beforehand, when you need to be heroic.

        -Adept