Re: Re: Berserking Revisited m2

From: philip.hibbs_at_...
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:41:02 +0100

>Yes, but there is a difference between a good
>gamer and a good roleplayer.

Well put, I think I'll borrow that. I was recently (well, last year) playing a trickster, a serial murderer called Gribble (no relation to Nathan). He was disruptive, divisive, murderous, and petty, but I carefully stopped short of wrecking the game. I would decide as a player that the character would screw up from time to time when he was on the verge of destroying the group, the plot, or other PCs. The only PCs that I actually ate were my own and old characters of the referee that he was now running as friendly NPCs, and I secretly got his permission to go after them with no holds barred. He really should have thrown the diary of one of the characters into the camp fire when he had the opportunity, but that would have deeply upset the player, so I didn't. The players and referee had a great time, and were desperately looking for reasons why their characters would not kill him, because the game was an absolute riot with him around. Eventually I backed him into a corner that there was just no way out of, and that was the end of him. His saga ended with the classic: "You bastard, you ate all my friends!".

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.