Re: Re: Talking about those Thunder Rebels again...

From: Hannu Kokko <Hannu.Kokko_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 17:27:23 +0300

on 25.7.2000 16:43, KYER, JEFFREY at jeff.kyer_at_... wrote:

Well, I sort of expected (naively perhaps) that Thunder Rebels and the Sartar Rising would be out pretty soon because Issaries said in previous Convulsion two years ago that they will not bring out the rules without a fast, ready pipeline of products.

I will buy of course the products when they come out but they are HOPELESSLY late for the newcomers. The NEWCOMERS to Glorantha would need scenarios and the Sartarite keywords. And a steady pretty fast, regular pipeline of add-ons.

The old hands and the playtesters might get by but I think that one of the aims of HeroWars was to get new people to play Glorantha. I see us the average Glorantha enthusiast getting grayer bi-year after bi-year at Convulsion.

I would love to have the campaign timeline available so I do not get Gregged again when Sartar Rising comes out in May 2001 as was said in Hero Wars Q&A session.

Personally I could not care less about the timetable of the Lunar book, if it helps the schedule of the Sartar books, put it last. I have never seen anyone play a Lunar campaign. Of course there are Lunar campaigns all around the world but at least in this corner of the world they seem to be a really, really small minority.

I should say here that perfection is the ENEMY of the future of Glorantha.

> These things cost money to produce. You know, money? And
> typesetting/formatting takes time to get right. The four most critical
> books are out. The next is TR and SGU. I don't see any other way the
> production schedule could have been done otherwise.

Issaries might have the money to do this because I hear that Hero Wars is selling exceptionally well (at least the deluxe set).

Typesetting/formatting is the least of our worries despite the evidence:-) or at least should be. The content is harder to get right, I think.

Well, I would say the order here is right but the schedule is deadly wrong from the business point of view. It takes too long, we lose momentum...

Pick any game system: "Oh, it is May 2001, we get the first official scenarios/campaign to a game that was published in May 2000". How does it look to you...

 Of course it might be that the real plan is to sell only to the existing crowd, which is ok of course, too but endangers the future of Glorantha products as the crowd (buying public) might diminish over the years.

I am a little bit concerned here but of course will stay on the boat as long as it is moving and probably after that as well

Put down one definite vote for: Sartar Rising and Thunder Rebels before Christmas 2000. I volunteer to help if it would help. We need at least the Thunder Rebels soon.

--hannu, Hero Wars fan, GTA member, Glorantha enthusiast and RQ gamer since 1981