Re: better followers

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 12:30:08 -0700

Philip

> >Ah, then I would simply add the follower's Close Combat AP
> >to the (non-combatant) player hero's Close Combat. Even a
> >bodyguard may not help that much in a fight! The focus
> >should be on the player hero.
>
>What about a healer character (non-CA) that has a pitiful combat ability,
>but who has a hard-as-nails bodyguard? There's more to roleplaying and
>heroism than combat, I think the player should be able to use the
>bodyguard's CC ability if it's appropriate.

This would all depend on the sort of game you want, and the circumstances.

If a Chalana Arroy's player gleefully participated in every combat (using a bodyguard's Close Combat), something doesn't seem quite right. For a non-CA, things are greyer, but Bevara certainly doesn't seem to be a combat role, and I'd hesitate to make combat an attractive option.

I think the general rule should remain that you use the main character's ability (Close Combat in this case), and consider any exceptions on a case-by-case basis. I know I'd be more likely to allow the follower's higher Close Combat defensively.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein