Re: wergild; better followers

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 19:38:30 -0000

It seems to me it all depends on how you actually play it. I'd assume the default is that your loyal followers generally try to protect you but otherwise let you take the lead. So:

Option 1 (default): Your followers knock you to the ground, drag you behind trees, put their horse in front of you, and generally try and keep you safe and maybe get you away from the situation.

Option 2: The character says "Forget about me, shoot back at them, skirmish as you see fit." (or equivalent). Then the followers take a turn not being followers, and are treated like real people. The character is still free to do as he would. If you have large numbers of followers, to streamline things, you might make some of them followers for the others.

Option 3: The character puts himself at his followers service: "You, kill them. I'll hold this shield to protect you, gathher spent arrows or whatever else will help you." In this case, you'd invert the usual follower arrangement, putting the character at substantial risk. Of course, maybe those extra AP will let the follower shoot down the lunar spy before he escapes to reveal the rebel's plans, so in a suitably heroic moment....

In other words, to me, it seems you simply do what seems to model the actual actions best.

--Bryan