From: t.s.baguley_at_...
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 11:39:44 +0100

> From: "Ian Cooper" <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
>My assumption about weregild is that the process works as follows:
>
> 1: Find my local juror and present my claim
> 2: Find a juror that represents the defendant
> 3: Go to the lowest level of court with jurisdiction over me and
>the person I am claiming for (i.e. with a clan the wapentake or moot
>(probably meets 4 times amonth), between clans the tribal moot
>(probably meets twice a year), between tribes the
>confederation/kingdom court (once a year?). Fix a date for the case
>to be heard.
> 4: On appointed date for hearing (or later historically the
>defendant got a few chances to turn up) present my claim, swearing
>any oaths. If the defendant does not deny it successfully (might not
>want to the punishment for non open-killing is death) the court
>adjuticates the amount to be paid (incuding any reductions for fines
>against those I am caliming for for their actions).
> 5: Either the defendant pays within a court appointed time frame
>or the jurors go round to sieze the weregild on my behalf (or enslave
>the defendant if he cannot pay)

You missed 3a. Go directly to the people who you feel wronged you and sort it out without going to a third party. This is likely to happen between non-feuding clans because it may well be cheaper (you don't have to gift the tribal chief, lawspeaker etc.), particularly if the clan concerned are known for their honour, generosity etc. The Orlanthi equivalent of an out of court settlement.

Thom