Re: better followers

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 11:25:22 -0700

David:

>You could imagine, for example, a priest
>with poor close combat, but some decent war magic and tactical
>ability, being given bodyguards.

But if this is combat, then he would use his war magic, and could add his follower's Close Combat AP. If at all possible, focus on the player character.

Wulf responding to David:

>In which case (and I agree with you), and assuming you're prepared to
>keep the appropriate records, the Follower should get any Hero Points
>from the relevant actions. He should then be able to spend them as he
>likes. You could just mark him as 'Follower: Warrior 17(CC+1), Witty
>Repartee 13' after improving his Close Combat.

You're getting away from the elegant simplicity of the follower rules. They don't have to be absolutely faceless, but they are designed to be more or less replaceable at will.

Note also that hero points can't normally be used for anyone but yourself -- if you've split off a follower to act independently, you can't use your HP to bump their rolls.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein